Friday, May 2, 2008

June Danks Davis

I want to take just a second to tell you about a really amazing woman. June is my new mom, and I’ve come to love her a lot in the two years that I have known her. She is a very young 88 year old and has the energy and drive of the EverReady Bunny. I really enjoy talking to her and hearing about her family members whom I will never know in this life. She is a fountain of information about the history of Evanston and the people who have lived there. She has lived her entire life in Evanston and even on County Road.

“Mom” is extremely independent and doesn’t like having to rely on others for help. She is in great health and gets around really well. She cleans her house, drives her car, and even does a little gardening (much to her children’s dismay!) She does beautiful knitting and crochet work, and we all have been recipients of her generous hand made gifts.

She worked for many years at the Wyoming State Hospital as an executive secretary, and has served the Lord in many callings. For the last several years she has worked in the genealogical program doing extraction work on her computer. I don’t think that there are many 88 year-olds, like mom, who are computer-savvy, or who have even taken the time to learn how to turn a computer on.


At our wedding reception I asked her what she wanted me to call her. She said (with a twinkle in her eye), “Well mom, of course.” So mom she is! I want to thank her for welcoming me into her family and for all she has done for Mel and me in the last two years. She’s a wonderful woman and I’m grateful for her and for the wonderful son whom she raised!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like you have a great mother-in-law! What a nice tribute to her!!!!!!!